Saturday, June 28, 2014

Write reviews, but don't bash books

Around this time last year the Twilight craze was almost dying down, but I'm sure there are Twilight memes all over the web. I've done my share of Twilight dissing, even though I haven't read the books or seen the movies, but I regret that. No, I haven't suddenly read the book, or even picked up the book. I read a comment that the writer made when asked if she'd ever return to the Twilight world. She said that if she did it would be three paragraphs saying who died. I was shocked. I think that an author should love the world they build. I love the worlds I build, but I am aware that there are things I can do to improve them. That's why I plan to read my negative reviews. The reader doesn't just dislike a book for no reason. It might not be what they read on a regular basis, or the author might have overlooked something/left something out/written something offensive/created an annoying character. That doesn't mean that you should bash the author or their work. Even if you don't like it, it's still something that someone spent their time writing. Someone found an idea that they loved and stuck with it until they had a story. It's still something that someone put their blood, sweat, and tears into.

No comments:

Post a Comment