Sunday, June 22, 2014

Weekend Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

I read an article that said if you are an adult you should be embarrassed to read a book with a movie cover. Well, I have the movie edition of this book. I got it for .94 cents on bookoutlet.com. It was a scratch and dent so it isn't in the best shape, but the story is all there and that's all I really cared about. I saw the movie for movie and really enjoyed it, but I love fairy tales so that's probably why. Beastly is a modern retelling of Beauty and The Beast. I remember opening this book and rolling my eyes at the first few pages. It was written in a chat room style. I ended up getting used of it, but another thing that bothered me at first was how young the characters were. At the start of the novel the characters were in ninth grade, but I realize that a love story this innocent would have to have a cast of younger characters. The story itself is about a boy named Kyle who treats people as if they are less than him. If you're not good looking he won't give you the time of day. He meets a witch who shows herself as overweight and oddly dressed. He doesn't really know she's a witch and asks her to a dance as a joke. She ends up cursing him to look like a beast, and actual beast and not the tattoo covered bald guy from the movie. As I was reading this book I kept picturing the cast from the movie. I read the book within two days and really enjoyed it. I think I might have to check out more of Alex Flinn's work.



Four Out Of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment