Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cover Art

I admit, one of the main reasons I'm drawn to a book is because of the cover art. The cover is basically the biggest "ad" you can give your book. Readers are more likely to click a link to see what your book is about if your cover art amazes them. I almost didn't read My Life As A White Trash Zombie because of the cover. I managed to overlook it, and ended up reading a fun book. I know a lot of people can't overlook the covers. They take one look at a book and think about how boring that book is going to be. They scroll to the next one as quickly as they scroll through the tender app looking for dates (sorry if I spelled that wrong, I don't use the app). I don't have a cover yet, and I'm worried that I won't have one by the time my book is ready. I'll have to put up a temporary cover until my book makes enough money for me to commission a cover. That scares me. I keep thinking to myself, How am I going to sell a book without a cover? What if my book doesn't sell a single copy? What if the internet hates it? Do I really have a career as a writer, or should I give up? I think all people have those thoughts go through their head, or similar ones depending on their professions. I honestly don't know if my writing is strong enough to sell without amazing cover art.

No comments:

Post a Comment