Friday, June 27, 2014

Casual Friday: What people should learn from watching Catfish

After watching the MTV show Catfish, I have no idea why people would still look for love online. There are many thoughts that go through my head when I'm watching, like what if someone were to use my picture to catfish someone, and how would I feel if they did? I'd probably feel really bad for the person getting catfished, but I would have no idea why anyone would choose my picture. Anyway, last week's episode featured a girl being catfished by who she thought was a man, but it turned out to be an eighteen year old woman. The two still kept talking and were even planning to get together at the end of the show. That isn't normally the way things turn out. Usually the person who lied ends up alone, or with someone who wasn't the person they catfished. If it weren't for Nev and Max would they reveal themselves at all? How can someone be happy if they can't be with the person they think they love? I don't understand the point of pretending to be someone you aren't. The people who do this on catfish aren't happy. Most of them are keeping a relationship going that they can never be in. They may think they are happy for a moment, but their happiness won't last. They can't rely on words on a screen forever, but it does surprise me how long some of these relationships last. I wouldn't waste three years online talking to someone who won't even video chat with me. I would feel like the relationship was going nowhere. I've never dated online so maybe I'm not the best person to blog about this, but it seems like it would be a waste of time to have a relationship where you never see the person and they don't try to commit to you. I know most of the people catfishing have insecurities, but in the end they would do better being themselves. What's the point of putting effort into a relationship that you know will crumble once you meet the person? It doesn't make sense, and both parties get hurt. It's better to be yourself. Some people are still going to reject you, but everyone gets rejected. Rejection hurts, but it doesn't hurt as bad if you weren't in a relationship with the person who rejected you.

No comments:

Post a Comment