Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Quotes

Whenever I visit the library or Barnes and Noble I can't help but notice that there are author quotes on the covers of some books. Well, I guess some are from authors and some are from other reviewers. I never see any quotes on the covers of Indie books. Probably because as an indie book seller you're rely on yourself. I don't know if the books would sell any better if they had quotes on them. I've never personally bought a book because of a quote, but I usually do read the quotes if they are from authors I like. I usually just want to know what the author I like had to say about the book I'm reading. I do consider reading a book if my favorite author has blogged about it/reviewed it. I usually don't see this in indie, and maybe it's because I'm not looking in the right places, but I think indie authors should help each other. I'm not published yet (soon, I promise), but I know when I do publish there won't be as much of a support system for me. There's not a publisher/editor/person in marketing to do all the difficult stuff. I have to do it all myself. It would be nice if the indie authors joined together in the same way the traditionally published ones do. Would building personal relationships, providing a quote for another indie author, and re tweeting each other sell more copies of our books? I know I'm not published yet and don't know how the publishing/marketing part of this works, but I've always admired the relationship some of my favorite traditionally published authors share with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment