Thursday, June 26, 2014

Don't quit your day job

I read an article today about a man who quit his day job following a successful writing career. Things didn't turn out as expected for him, and he had to go back to working. I don't think I will ever be able to not have a day job. I don't think writing alone can support a person, although I would love for it to support me. If it did I would be able to go to college for something I actually enjoyed and not just for a career. I'd still go for the career, I would just get more than one degree. I would also love to take another writing course to learn things from someone new. Anyway, there's another reason why you shouldn't quit your job/hang around the house. You can't get life experience from hanging around the house watching True Blood. You have to journey out sometimes. You have to meet new people. You have to gain a better understanding of yourself and others or you will not be able to write convincing characters. Even in fiction your characters have to be grounded in reality. I write about werewolves, but it's the human part of them that makes people care about them. No one's going to care about your writing if they can't relate to the characters. I had that problem with a book I read recently. The main character was immature and every male in the book was 'hot'. I couldn't relate to the book at all. I think I would be living in a dream world if every male I encountered was good looking. Good looking means so many different things for so many different people. I wonder what this author was thinking about when she wrote her characters that way. In my werewolf book, the one I will be releasing soon, only one male character is described as good-looking. My main character is also called beautiful by the male character who is described as good-looking. Every other character is just described with it left up to the reader to imagine them as beautiful or ugly. In real life we don't see every single person as attractive, and not every person is ugly, so it doesn't make sense to write a book where every male is good-looking and the main character describes herself as hot. Why do the characters have to be so involved in their looks anyway? Shouldn't there be a plot to the book? I'm off topic now, but I did review the book for this week's weekend review.

No comments:

Post a Comment