Sunday, June 29, 2014

Weekend Review: First Grave On The Right by Daryda Jones

I thought I would love this book. It seemed like an interesting urban fantasy, and the cover was intriguing. I would love to own a pair of sandals like the ones on the cover. I was so sure that I would love this book that I purchased both the first and second book. I regret that now. I'm going to read the second book, but only because I don't like wasting money. This book was pretty bad. The main character was probably supposed to be witty, but she came off as immature. None of the jokes within the book were funny. They were distracting. I also hated the t-shirt and bumper sticker quotes that were at the beginning of every chapter. The basic plot of this book is that the main character, Charley, is the grim reaper. She's having these dirty dreams about a guy named Reyes. Every time she mentioned Reyes I had to remind myself that I wasn't reading Twilight. The whole my knees got weak from looking at a picture of Reyes thing got old pretty quickly. Three lawyers die in the book and she decides to finish working on their case. The main character was unlikeable, and often talked/thought about her own looks. Almost everyone in this book is described as good looking. I can see why the author would make all the characters easy on the eyes, but it's not realistic. I couldn't relate to any of the characters. I fell kind of bad writing a negative review, since this author seems to be really nice to her twitter followers. This book just didn't appeal to me, but it might appeal to others.


2 Out Of 5 Stars, but only because of the cool cover.

1 comment: