Thursday, June 5, 2014

What makes me stop reading a book?

It's been a year since I've gone to the library, mostly since I didn't know where it was. On Tuesday I went and picked out five books. One of them was Grave Memory by Kalayna Price.
The summary on the back hooked me and I wanted to read the book so much that it was the first one I started reading. I never got past the third page, so I won't be doing a review. I didn't know the book was part of a series, the back made it seem like it could be the first book or a stand alone. I've read books that weren't the first in a series and still enjoyed them, but this one I couldn't get into. After I put the book down, I kept asking myself why. I needed to understand why I couldn't get through it so that I could understand how to be a better writer. To be honest, nothing happened within those first three pages. The main character showed her friend an office that she had rented. The first line didn't even hook me. It was something along the lines of her asking her friend what she thought. I've never read a book with such a dull opening line. Maybe if I would have kept reading if I had already spent time with these characters. I really wanted to love this book, but I couldn't get into it, not when I haven't developed any sense of concern for the characters. If the author had made more happen than some women looking at an office and talking about magic I may have been able to get into it. There has to be some action to draw the reader in.

No comments:

Post a Comment