Sunday, July 13, 2014

Weekened Review: Sweet Valley Confidental

I knew this book wasn't going to be the greatest thing I'd ever read. Even when I younger I only thought of these as a fun light read and only picked up these books when there was nothing else to read. I did really enjoy the first few senior year books when I was in high school, but I knew none of the Sweet Valley books had actually been written by Francine Pascal. Sweet Valley Confidential is the only Sweet Valley book she's actually written, and after reading it I wonder if she would have written all the books like this. I probably only picked this book up because of the memories that came with it. After reading it I'm not sure what to think. The characters don't behave like real people. Elizabeth meets a man and declares him her friend after having two drinks with him. Jessica, the other twin, says like more times than anyone I've ever encountered. Everyone from high school still keeps in touch and they all live in the same town they grew up in. Some of the characters have been changed, things like hair color/eye color/the way they acted in high school/etc. My biggest complaint with the book is the relationship between the siblings, Jessica and Elizabeth. Jessica steals Elizabeth's long term boyfriend, which causes Elizabeth to go live in New York. Elizabeth has to come back for her grandmother's birthday. After some fighting she decides to forgive her sister. I can't even began to understand this. Why would the twin sister want to steal her sister's man, and why was she forgiven so quickly? Almost everyone gets a happy ending. I did like the idea behind the book, going back and reading about characters I read about as a kid, but that's about all I liked. On another note, I really wish R.L. Stine would do this with Goosebumps. It would be really cool to see a few of the people together in the same mental ward or something, thinking the mystery meat in the cafeteria was monster blood, and hiding from Slappy. Carly Beth would stay in her room with a mask made out of duct tape attached to her face, afraid that everyone would think her new face was hideous.




One out of five Stars

Buy the book

No comments:

Post a Comment