Thursday, July 10, 2014

Do I read like a writer?

The other day I was checking my twitter and noticed a post by a writer. The post was in response to something one of her followers had asked her, and her response was that she sometimes couldn't enjoy a book because she read like a writer instead of a reader. I hadn't thought that there was a difference. I thought people just read like readers, since they usually were reading something they hadn't written. I decided to think about the books I read lately, and the reasons I enjoyed or didn't enjoy them. First Grave on The Right was simple, I didn't care for it because all the male characters were good-looking and so was the main female character, plus there was no real plot, or the plot was put on the back burner in favor of describing these great looking men. Right now I am reading the Sweet Valley adult book, and I notice little things I may not have noticed when I read the teen books as a teenager. The actions and way these people speak are unbelievable. I don't mean crazy, I mean no one says like in every sentence. I will get to the behavior part this weekend for my weekend review. My complaints for these books were things I might not have noticed or paid much attention to if I wasn't a writer myself. A book that I recently enjoyed was White Trash Zombie (I've reviewed all of these books or plan to, so check the items tagged with weekend review if you want to read more about these books). When I was reading White Trash Zombie, I kept thinking that the pacing of the book was perfect. There were parts that had nothing to do with the mystery of who turned Angel into a zombie, but I was still interested in those as well. The book was far from boring, and I plan to pick up the rest of the series, the first of which I kept wishing I'd written myself. Most readers will just put down a book they don't like, without wondering why. If you ask them why they might be able to pinpoint a reason, or they might just say that it was boring. I no longer read like a "normal" reader. I read like a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment