Sunday, July 6, 2014

Weekend Review: Veronica Mars book and movie

I didn't get a chance to read a complete book this week, so I decided to review something I read awhile ago. I'm a huge fan of the Veronica Mars tv show. I didn't fund the kickstarter, I just couldn't afford to, but I did go see the movie. I also picked up the book. I'm pretty sure this is one of the most expensive non-comic book books that I've ever purchased. Going to the Veronica Mars movie was a movie going experience that I've never had before. People filed in, some wearing their kickstarter shirts, others with buttons or pins showing their support. I know some of them traveled a long time to see the movie, even though I'm sure some of them had a digital copy at home. When the movie started everyone was silent, no one left to go to the bathroom or get a drink refill. The movie itself unfolded somewhat like a fan fiction. A lot of characters are thrown in just to show that they were once a part of the tv show. I found the movie to be lacking, and thought the pairing of Logan and Veronica was lacking in this movie. They no longer seemed to have the same chemistry, but from season two onward it was as if they only existed to make each other feel awful. The best part of the movie was Dick. He was actually sort of funny. The mystery wrapped up to easily, but maybe that was because there wasn't a whole season to expand upon. Things with Weevil went unfinished, and that was my main reason for picking up the book. I wasn't able to finish the book. Characters do things that are out of character for them, like Mac quitting a good job to go work for Veronica and her father. Old characters were name dropped for no reason. This book did not explain things for someone who was not a Veronica fan, and the price of the book was fifteen dollars. I don't plan on reading the other books in the series. If there was another Veronica movie I'm not sure I could watch it either. The charm of Veronica Mars was lost somewhere between the time they decided to kickstart the movie and the time the movie made it's way to cinemas.





Three Out Of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment