Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What it's like being a writer with ADHD.

I wasn’t planning to share this, but I know there are others who share my struggle. When I was in first grade, I was diagnosed with ADHD, which means I have trouble paying attention and keeping still. It affected my schoolwork so much that I had to be put on medicine. The medicine made me pay attention, which helped me get better grades, but I hated taking it. Now that I’m an adult, I don’t take it. I’m in college so it makes things more difficult for me, but I can usually force myself to pay attention. When I’m at home, it’s a different story. Sometimes I can write for a long time, usually when I’m writing something new. Other times, mostly when I’m editing, I can write for a little while and then I have to take a break. I don’t like it because I think it hurts my writing. It could be better, if only I could sit still and finish what I’m doing. I try not to look online, but even people without ADHD have trouble avoiding the internet when they’re supposed to be working. I feel like having ADHD makes my projects take longer to complete. I need to set deadlines for myself and hold myself accountable for them.





For more information on ADHD

No comments:

Post a Comment