Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Urban Fantasy...

I wanted to start off by saying that I agree with this article 100%. I write urban fantasy. For those of you who don't know what urban fantasy is, here's the definition:

Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Urban fantasy exists on one side of a spectrum, opposite high fantasy, which is set in an entirely fictitious world. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods, and the settings may include fictional elements. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city.

I haven't released my first novel yet, but I'm about to. I am running a little behind on editing, so I may have to move back the expected date. As a result of date being so close I have been getting asked so many questions about my novel. I usually answer by saying, "Well, it's about a female werewolf who works for the FBI and has to investigate the murder of her ex boyfriend." Yesterday a guy told me that it was the kind of thing that women would love to watch, if it were a tv show. What?? How can he put it in that category without having read it? Just because the main character is a female? I went on to tell him that it wasn't romance. There is a romantic interest, but the romance is not front and center in the book at all. His comments didn't bother me much. He said he doesn't read much and has only read one book cover to cover. The problem is that most men think like that. Most men won't pick up a novel and read it if it is told from a female point of view. I don't understand this. I have read plenty of books told from a male point of view. The one I'm reading now is told from a male point of view. I feel like this automatic categorization should stop. People are missing out on great books because of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment