Friday, August 15, 2014

Casual Friday: My Thoughts On Being Human American and UK

Sorry about the lack of decent blogs lately, I've been doing a lot of school related stuff that has been cutting into my free time. Not that I really view this blog as a hobby. I would love to write as a career, and that's what I'm trying for, but I am realistic and know I need to have a back up plan. Anyway, for this blog I wanted to talk about one of my favorite shows, Being Human (American). I fell in love with the show after watching the first episode on syfy and decided to check out the UK version (the original) when it was cancelled. I've only seen up to the forth season, but that's when they replace all the original cast in the UK. I've watched the entire American version, and really thought the last season felt rushed. The first season follows the storyline as closely as they can without turning the show into a comedy. The UK version did have more laugh out loud scenes, like when the werewolf (George) tried to rid himself of the wolf by sedating himself, only to find that he'd made himself aggressive and couldn't stop cursing. I don't miss the humor, although it did work for the UK show. In the American show my least favorite character is Aiden (the vampire), who's plot involves more romance than anyone else. I thought his character was dull until he started a relationship with Sally (the ghost), but I would have liked to see the relationship tested like it was in the UK. The ghost and the vampire can't have a physical relationship, and that's sort of a major plot point in their storyline. It was never really thought about in the American version. I did like the outcome of that relationship more in the American, but it was too quick and didn't have as much meaning as the UK one did. I also would have liked to see Aiden go crazy and attack a train car full of people like Mitchell (the UK vampire) did. Aiden barely does any harm to anyone in the present. My least favorite UK character was the wolf (George), while my favorite American character is the wolf (Josh). George doesn't seem to care much about anyone other than himself. He cheats on Nina (UK female wolf), disrespects her, yells at her. He was just an all around horrible person. Josh is kind, caring, and seems to love Nora. His plot line was also more interesting than the UK one. I think Sally and Annie are the most different of the bunch. Annie can't posses people, but she can be seen if she is feeling confident enough. Annie can make tea, Sally is excited when she figures out how to clean. Annie also has a lesser part in the adventures, while in the American one they all have their own storyline. Sally is much more focused on love than Annie. I think Annie always loved Mitchell and that's probably why.


I will review the UK season 4 and 5 when I finish watching them. So far they are playing out in a monster of the week format.

No comments:

Post a Comment