Monday, August 18, 2014

I'm no Gatsby.

Yesterday I showed someone the first few paragraphs of the werewolf novel I'm about to publish, and the first chapter of a zombie story that I have no idea what to do with. He sent me back an alternative opening which changed the main character to a man who liked to get drunk, and the dead ex-boyfriend into a drunk who only wore boxers. He then said that my writing was awful because it did not compare to the Great Gatsby. The Great Gatsby is a classic, not many things compare to it, but it is not what I am going for. I write urban fantasy. I write about fun things like werewolves, vampires, zombies, etc. I don't write about anything too serious, but that doesn't mean my writing is bad. He also compared me to Stephanie Meyer. I have never read her work so I have no comment, but she has made a huge profit from her work so I won't take it as an insult. What the guy who insulted my writing failed to understand is that there are different genres of writing. Not everyone is going to like every genre, and I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment