Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Would I be writing if I didn't think I could make a profit?

One of the good things about my job is that I get to interact with people everyday. It's also one of the bad things about my job, but anyone who has worked with the public can understand. Today I met a woman who is an artist. I used to do a little painting, so we ended up talking for awhile. She told me she didn't make enough with her art to support her family, but that didn't matter because she was living her dream (she also had her husband to support her). The conversation lead me to think about myself and if I would still be chasing my dreams if I didn't think they would be profitable. I think I will always chase my dreams, even if they don't make me any money. Even if one person, or no people read my book. I just can't see myself giving up writing. I read an article the other day about a man who put his book for sale in the kindle store and expected to instantly make "millions". It's great to daydream about a life where I could just write and wouldn't have to have a job where I go to a place for eight hours and do work that's tiring to my body. I just don't think that will ever happen. I have to go back to college and get a job where I'm not standing around for eight hours, but I still plan to write. My job takes away a lot of time that I could be writing/editing/marketing, but it's necessary. In my dream life I would be writing for eight hours a day (like Charline Harris). I would have my own house, one that I paid for with the money I got from writing, and I would be able to buy the things I need and want without saving up for months or waiting until tax season. That's all just a dream. I'll consider myself lucky if one person reads my writing, not because I think my writing sucks, but because that person took the time to read something I wrote. I'm going to keep writing, even if I don't make a penny from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment