Friday, May 30, 2014

Casual Friday: Hannibal

Every time I watch Hannibal on NBC, I tell myself that I am going to go back and reread Red Dragon and the rest of the books, or at least re-watch the movies. I was a Hannibal fan before the tv series, and when it was announced I wasn't sure if I would like it. Every week it sucks me in. I can't wait to see the cat and mouse game Hannibal and Will play with each other. I know Will wasn't friends with Hannibal in the books, but I think the series and the movie benefit from their friendship. Hannibal is fascinated with Will, and why wouldn't he be? A man who has an the uncomfortable gift of being able to think like and understand killers? Will Graham is actually one of the best characters ever written. He tortures himself with his "gift", never knowing if he will snap. I've always wanted a peak into Hannibal's life, the time between Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon. I remembering wishing for a movie set somewhere in between the two. I like seeing this time in Hannibal's life, the time that has only been hinted at in the books and movies. These last few episodes have had me on the edge of my seat. I don't think I've ever seen a character as repulsive as Mason, he makes the Walking Dead's Governor look about as scary as Big Bird from sesame street. He does things to hurt children, and his sister, and he's so eerily charming while he does. I enjoy seeing him interact with Hannibal almost as much as I enjoy seeing Will and Hannibal, but I know his relationship with Hannibal is also coming to a close. I fear that Hannibal is about to find himself in jail, if not Mason would seek revenge. This means we will only see Buffalo Bill in flashbacks, and that Will may only have one more season left. I find Will to be such an interesting character that I don't want to see him go. I almost find him more interesting than Hannibal. Well, it's a great series and I'm sure I'll keep tuning in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment