Monday, May 5, 2014

Adult vs. Young Adult

For the past few months, I've struggled to find books I find interesting at Barnes and noble. I did read the Better Off Dead books by HP Mallory lately, but they were such a quick read. bought a few books that kindle suggested to me, but none of them interested me. I also tried reading the Veronica Mars novel (I'm a huge Veronica Mars fan), but that lacked the magic of the series (and so did the movie). I could read books like the Mercy Thompson series, which I haven't finished, but I want something new. I don't normally read young adult. I've tried, but a lot of the books I picked up were poorly written. I did read the ya series by Jesi Lea Ryan lately. I loved both books. It made me think that maybe there are some ya books I should give a chance. I remember being intrigued by the book 13 Reasons Why, and more recently an Alice and Wonderland series that I spotted on a ya table at Barnes and Noble. Today I happened to walk past the book section of walmart. There was a book To All The Boys I've Loved. It's not the type of book I normally read, but I picked it up and read the back. I quickly cracked it open, intrigued by the premise (it made me think of my past relationships and the things I would have said in letters if I knew they weren't going to read them). I was shocked. It didn't seem like a ya book, or not one like I'd read. I knew there were good ya books, The Outsiders, Smack, Speak, etc., but I thought all modern day ya was like Gossip Girl and twilight. I did enjoy the Jesi Lea Ryan novels, so I might pick up a few more ya books. I haven't seen many new adult books that interest me lately. All the ya books on the market remind me of Wolf Within and it's potential to be a great ya book if I edit the heck out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment