Monday, September 1, 2014

First two paragraphs: Hair Of The Wolf

Happy Labor Day!! Unlike most of the working world, I have to work today. Not only do I have to work, but Monday is the most demanding work day of the week. There's always extra stuff to do. At least I didn't have to go to school today, although I thought I did. I got up early, went to the gym, cut my gym visit short, all to find out I didn't have to go to school. Oh well. Anyway, if you lucky people who actually have the day off are looking for something to do, why not read the first two paragraphs of my upcoming novel? I'm trying to get it out by September, but with my busy schedule I may not be able to.








The room was clean, aside from the body that lay covered on the table. I had seen more than my fair share of corpses, but something about this one set me on edge. My stomach was in knots by the time the mortician pulled back the pristine white sheet. The man on the table had grown pale with death, so it took me a minute to realize that I knew him. I hadn’t seen Trevor in five years. I thought I would never see him again, but here he was, his honey-colored eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. I reached over and touched his cheek, instantly wishing I hadn’t. His skin felt ice cold, and his body remained lifeless.

I took a step back, letting my eyes sweep over his body. He was so tall that his feet hung over the end of the metal slab that he laid on. He’d lost at least twenty-five pounds since I’d last seen him, but his stomach was still marred with stretch marks. His head was freshly shaved, just like it had been the last time I’d seen him. His wide mouth was set in a permanent frown, which was an expression he seemed to wear more often than not. Four long cuts dissected his neck, they almost looked like claw marks, but I doubted they were what killed him. I felt a pang of guilt as I studied the wounds, knowing that I’d once wished for him to meet this fate.

4 comments:

  1. Looks all right to me (never mind the chap who said it still needed editing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) He isn't really my target audience. It's an urban fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is REALLY awesome! I'm SO excited to read this book. :) :)

    ReplyDelete