Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Why I give up on books, or what I don't like in a book.

I finally gave up on Horns, by Joe Hill. It had been in my possession for over a month and I didn't find myself tempted to read it. It started out good enough, with a promising idea, but it started to bore me. It seemed interesting enough, guy accused of murdering his girlfriend grows horns and people start telling him their darkest secrets and desires. I kept thinking of what it would be like if that happened to me. I probably wouldn't want to know every one's dark secrets and desires, just like I wouldn't want Sookie Stackhouse's ability to read minds. Anyway, the book lost me when it got off track and went back in time. I'm sure there was a point to that, but I didn't feel like reading to find out why. I'm sure it introduces the girlfriend and shows their relationship, but at that point I would have preferred to see what was going on with the horns. I don't like when stories take me out of the story to show me something else. In horns there were plenty of nods to the way the girlfriend behaved. I didn't read too much about her to see if any of those things were true. I also don't like when stories get too silly. They have to have some level of believability.

No comments:

Post a Comment