Tuesday, September 2, 2014

This is why I write

If you follow me at all you know how big of a Supernatural fan I am. I remember one episode where Chuck told Sam and Dean that he wouldn't have chosen to be a writer if he could help it. I have to agree that writing is difficult. You have to make sure everything makes sense, and things are spelled right, and there's also that pesky little thing called grammar. I get asked why I want to be a writer every time I express my interest in writing. I have always had an interest in writing. When I was in elementary school I used to write stories about vampires, ghosts, and werewolves. I was the only kid in my class who spent my spare time coming up with stories. Every year for my birthday I was given a diary, or a journal. I still keep a journal to this day, but I don't write in it as often. As I got older I took an interest in writing poems and songs (some of which got published in a poetry book in high school). My favorite poem was a recipe poem I'd written about a Nightmare On Elm Street. I wish I still had it so I could share it. The teacher loved it too. After that I went through a phase where I didn't write at all. No poems, no stories, no songs, nothing. It took a really bad break up to get me to start writing again, and even then I didn't think it would amount to much. I thought I was just doing it to escape from reality for a little while. There must have been a point when I realized that I loved writing, and that's what I was meant to do. I don't remember when that was, but I do remember starting to be inspired by everyday things. People's names, their actions, I was taking note of it all. Everything in my life inspires me, from the people around me to my dogs. I think I was meant to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment