Wednesday, October 5, 2016

What inspired me to write Zombie Bite?

In my last post I wrote about my new book, Zombie Bite, but I didn't really shed to much light on it. I started writing it the night after I watched a movie called Stake Land that I saw on the Syfy channel. Stake Land is a bleak movie about vampires who roam the earth like zombies. The movie caused me to wonder what the world would be like if zombies actually existed. What would the people actually be like? I'm sure quite a few would have gone insane, and the others wouldn't be in a much better state. What would life be like after some time had gone by? What methods would people use to survive? Who could they trust. I found myself writing a rough draft about a young woman who was driven to help people after an event made her unable to face the survivors in her camp. For the longest time I wasn't sure how to end it. I sat on the novel for awhile, unsure of what to do with it. Did I want Eli, the main character's husband to survive? Did I want him to die? I wasn't sure so I wrote both outcomes and picked the one that seemed to be the best fit for the novel. I also ended up changing quite a bit, including the incident that drove Zoey away. It's strange how much changes when you convert from rough draft to finished piece. I kept some of the ideas for another novel. Honestly, I may write a whole series about those survivors. I had planned to when I started writing them. I was going to write a sequel that featured Zoey and a few other books about the other people living in the hotel. Maybe a prequel showing how everything started, how they came to be living in the hotel. Do I still have plans for those things? I'm not sure. So many new ideas have come to me lately that I don't know what I'm going to write next, but I know I'm going to put my all into it and try to make it better than the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment