Saturday, October 1, 2016

My 'beef' with magazines

Lately I have been submitting articles to magazines with the hope that they will agree to publish something and I can get my name out there while also making some money. This means that I've been looking at a lot of magazines and also going to their websites. After seeing one of my friends post something on Facebook about the amount of ads in a magazine I realized that I had a problem with magazines. Now let me start by saying that I don't have a problem with every magazine, just the type that you'd be likely to find in a hair or nail salon. The type that the hospital I used to work at carried. Magazines that are full of more ads than articles, and the articles they are filled with are trash. Sure, I love to read gossip magazines every now and then, but I would rather read something with substance. Why can't the hospital carry magazines with articles about people who have done great things, or lived through something that the average person may never live through? The closest thing they carried was people magazine, which is aimed at both men and women. Why do magazines aimed at women have to be about cooking or pleasing their man? Why do the magazines aimed at us have to be full of ads for things we can't afford or that we don't need? I don't mind a small ad every few pages, but most magazines have full pages with bored looking models or stinky perfume samples. Honestly, I would pay more money for less ads and more decent content. Now I'm sure there are tons of magazines out there for women that are actually great, but they aren't as easily accessible as Cosmo. Part of me wants to make a kickstarter for a magazine that I want to read, but the other part wants to find magazines that I would read and promote them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment