Thursday, April 16, 2015

Writing weaknesses

When I was in elementary school I remember one of my teachers telling us the importance of adding weakness to our characters. She said that readers don't like to read about a character who isn't flawed and doesn't have some type of weakness. I found myself thinking about that a lot lately. I'm currently writing about a character who is almost human, she just has one thing that makes her stand out. I think that makes her more complex, a little harder to write but more entertaining. No one wants to read about a character who can get through anything thrown at them.

2 comments:

  1. That is very much true. Nobody is perfect. Especially if the flaws are the ones I see in myself, they help me identify with the character and bond with him or her. Characters that can do no wrong irritate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it isn't very fun to write them either. Half of the fun of writing is figuring out how your character is going to get themselves out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete