Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Abuse in books

I never thought that I would make a blog post about this. I don't usually read books that feature abuse, sexual or otherwise, but a few days ago I was reading To Hell And Back by H.P. Mallory. I loved the first two books in the series, and I expected to like this one, but a few pages in the main character gets attacked. The abuse itself wasn't what bothered me about the book, but the main character's reaction to it. The main character's love interest shares a body with the soul of a warrior, the warrior takes over and attacks the main character. The main character manages to fight him off, but she's still attracted to her love interest. I think most normal people would at least freak out, not suggest starting a relationship with the person who attacked them. He wasn't in his right state of mind, but that doesn't excuse the writing in this book. How could a woman just forgive and forget and be ready to start a relationship with her attacker, or someone who looks like their attacker. How is this ok? Why would H.P. Mallory write a scene like this? I guess I will never understand the trend with abuse in books.

No comments:

Post a Comment