Friday, November 28, 2014

Casual Friday: What it's like to work retail on Black Friday

As I'm typing this, I realize there are only thirty minutes left in the day. I'm still recovering from working a ten hour shift in a retail store. I thought almost everyone had worked retail at some point in their lives, but today I came across some people who clearly had no idea what it was like to work on Black Friday. I had to cut my Thanksgiving plans short because I had to get up early to go to work and stare at my coworkers (who were just standing their since we didn't have a great sale). When the customers finally started to come in they asked things like, "Can you explain to me what twenty-five percent off of everything means?" I thought that was self explanatory. As the day wore on I began to feel exhausted. My feet and back ached and I had a headache. I wanted a break, but the company I work for only gives us a thirty minute lunch break. Around the halfway point of my shift, I felt like I wouldn't be able to make it through the day. During my lunch break I walked around, checking out the sales I couldn't afford to buy from. Nothing seemed good enough to be at the mall. I wouldn't have been there if I didn't have to be. I didn't get to sit during my lunch break, since all of the tables were full (including the outdoor ones). None of the customers were rude, but some really didn't understand the sale. Being around that many people for so long with no breaks was pretty bad itself. I'm grateful I didn't need any food from the food court, the lines were wrapped around. The reason I decided to write this blog is because I would love it if everyone treated each other well this holiday season, instead of being rude. The person working in the store may not have gotten a break, be working without holiday pay, have an empty stomach, sore feet, or be wondering how they are going to pay their rent. Please be kind to everyone you encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment