Monday, November 24, 2014

How much should an author share?

I've been thinking a lot about how much I want to share with readers. As a writer I want to build a relationship with my readers. I want to let them know a little bit about my life and I also find myself wanting to consider them friends. I want them to feel comfortable commenting on my blog/twitter/facebook/socialmedia, but I also want to have a personal life. While it's easy for me to determine how much I would share with the people in my offline life, I find it hard to determine how much I should share with future readers. Should I tell them anything about my personal life? Should I tell them the bare minimum? Should I try to find a place in the middle where I talk a bit about myself? I'm not sure. I've seen authors who post things about their husbands and children. Should I post things about my boyfriend? What would I even post? It's hard for me to share a lot about myself to began with. I just feel awkward talking about myself. Even at a recent job interview. I think it's the reason I didn't get the job. Overall I think I just need to get more open to talking about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment