Monday, December 1, 2014

Building Character

Recently I stumbled upon a blog written by a woman who was a single mother. Her blog was supposed to be about issues that she couldn't talk to her young son about. It seemed like a pretty good idea, until I actually read the blog. It seemed as if the woman's entire identity was that of a single woman. It was very important for her to express how happy she was to be alone and how much she didn't need a man. Every post, other than one on recent events was about her as a single woman. I felt like she only had one layer to her. I thought about what it would be like to write a character like that, and at first I thought it wouldn't be very useful to write a character like that. It probably wouldn't be much fun either, however, sometimes you need to write a character who is only made up of one layer. Sometimes you need to add a character who just has one mission, or mindset. Maybe it's the post man who delivers a life-changing letter, or maybe it's a cashier who warns someone of a person following them. I could go on and on, but I think anyone reading this would understand. Sometimes it's useful to have those single layer characters around, as long as they serve a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment