Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Would my characters have had a decent Valentine's day?

While I haven't published anything yet, I have been working on my writing for awhile. Due to school and work it's been hard to get any content out. I still found myself thinking about my characters during Valentine's day. Would they have had a happy Valentine's day, or would they have spent it the way I did? At work, bored out of their minds. I'm not sure how much I disclosed about the werewolf series that I hope to have published sometime soon, but Anyssa is the main character in that series and she's locked in an apartment sized jail cell as part of her punishment for reviewing werewolves to the outside world. ZB, the main character in the zombie story I started but never finished would probably have lost track of time and not know it was Valentine's day. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish that novel, but I do see potential in it. Lastly, I've been working on a grim reaper novel, and my main character would be working with no Valentine to keep her company. Why didn't I give any of these characters a happy Valentine's day? The answer to that is simple, I feel like my characters have to go through things to make them seem more real. They can't always have true love, or even a happy ending. No one would want to read about a character who has everything going for them. Imagine how boring a novel would be if the main character got everything they wanted and a happy ending. I don't think many people would want to read that. I am aware that lots of people enjoy reading books with a happy ending, but I think the happy endings need to be earned. No one wants to read a book where everything comes easy. Hopefully, no one wants to write a book like that either, it's just lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment