Monday, February 23, 2015

What if no one reads it?

I'm sure the question that's crossing my mind right now is the same question that's crossed almost every writer's mind. What if no one reads it? I haven't even published anything yet, but the question has been weighing heavily on my mind. Maybe it's the reason I haven't finished editing. Maybe I'm not sure of myself. How much would it bother me if no one reads the work of fiction I've been working on? Maybe it'll bother me a lot, maybe it wouldn't bother me at all. Even if no one reads my book, it won't take away from my accomplishment. I would have written a book, promoted it, and tried my hardest to sell it.

2 comments:

  1. Every single author goes through self-doubt and that "what if" thought process. It means you're doing something. You're working hard, motivated, want to put it out there for the world, and you want to know it will all pay off and people will read it. Unfortunately, there is never a guarantee and there is much more to getting your book read than JUST writing a good book/story (And yes, I know this is no easy feat in and of itself). Self-publishing is especially hard because ALL the marketing, publicity, and getting your book out there falls on YOU. (Please note I feel I am qualified to comment on this because I was self-published for several years before recently signing with a traditional publisher). It is not impossible to get your book out there on your own (Heck, look at Hugh Howey!), but it is challenging and time consuming.
    My biggest piece of advice to you - get active, make friends, host contests, giveaways (GoodReads.com is a great place for this), offer ARC copies to those who will review it so the DAY your book comes out on Amazon you have some reviews trickling in. Connect with your followers, speak to different authors who have experience and learn from them, watch what they do, say, how/where they promote, etc. etc. ;)
    Also, I'll read your book when it comes out so now you can rest easy knowing that at LEAST one person will read your book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your kind words mean a lot to me. I'm still trying to find time to work on the finishing touches to my novel. I do need to also make time to get active. You have given me some great advice.

      Delete