Monday, January 22, 2018

Book Review: Undead and Unwed (SPOILERS)

About a month ago I made a post on reddit asking for advice on what to read. I stated that I loved the Sookie Stackhouse novels and was looking for something along those lines. Someone suggested the Queen Betsy series, which starts with Undead and Unwed.

I loved the book at first, and thought that I would like it as much as the Sookie novels. I finally had the book 'candy' I'd been wanting. A quick and easy read that left me wanting more, but then I got a few more chapters in and realized that it probably wasn't for me. I don't mind when the first man the woman meets becomes the love interest. It's happened in a lot of paranormal romance books that I've read, but what I do find annoying is that a woman is so willing to forgive offensive behavior. Betsy watches Sinclair in 'action' and still goes on to say how attractive she finds him. Why would a woman willingly forgive behavior that she's repulsed by, or that she used to be repulsed by? Suddenly her standards lower because she's a vampire? I don't get it. I remember a time when my ex repulsed me so badly that I lost all attraction to him. Suddenly, the thought of him disgusted me, and I would think it would be the same for a character in a book. Anyway, I also thought the idea that the vampires had to have sex with the humans they fed on wasn't that great. I guess the author was trying to add their own spin on vampires, but I will admit that it was a spin that I didn't like. The Betsy character (I thought that I would love her), began to get on my nerves. She never waited to see what other people were trying to explain to her, and she seemed to live in the own little bubble on her head. The best friend, Jessica, also got on my nerves. She was allowed to be a racist and say racist things, but I'm not sure why. Why did the author think this was cool? It was actually the first thing about the book that got on my nerves. I remember thinking to myself that reading about Jessica was annoying, but for some reason I decided to keep reading. I would have found her a sympathetic character if not for her racists behavior. I'm not intending to trash the author with my review, in fact, I wanted to enjoy this book. I actually wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't. If anyone knows of any books like the Sookie Stackhouse books that they would like to suggest please comment down below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment