Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The problem with paranormal romance

I know what you're thinking, how can I have a problem with paranormal romance if I write it? Well, I don't have a problem with all paranormal romance, what I have problem with is when the MC still likes the male love interest after he does something that she would normally find repulsive. Usually she gets annoyed with the male character throwing his relationships with other women in her face, but the MC accepts it because he's hot. I'm sorry, but is he the only hot guy she's ever seen? Most people won't get into a relationship with someone who repulses them, mocks them, or does other things that annoy them. That's not how romance works, or not how most romance works anyway. I hadn't read anything for awhile, but I've been reading Undead and Unwed and I have a lot of thoughts about the book, but the thing that annoys me the most is the romance. I've seen this in other series (like when Clay bit Elena in Bitten, or when Bones pretty much kidnapped Cat in Halfway to the Grave). It's not that I don't enjoy those books, I just find it odd that the heroine would fall for a guy who did something like that to her.

2 comments:

  1. Have you by any chance heard a podcast called Life/After? More sci-fi than paranormal but gripping storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of it, but I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete