Thursday, March 14, 2019

Public reading pet peeves


Part of being a writer is being an avid reader. I developed a love for reading at a young age, but a few years ago I stopped reading as much. I started reading again when I picked up the book YOU by Caroline Kepnes, but I still am not reading as much as I used to. When I took a job as a receptionist I ended up finishing a book every three days (I could read at work). After leaving that job I stopped reading as much. I noticed that I usually only read in break rooms or waiting rooms. This means that I read in public a lot, and as a result I’ve developed a few pet peeves.
1.       It irks me when someone ‘needs’ my attention when I am reading. Now I want to make something clear, I am not talking about people that I know. I am talking about complete strangers who think it’s okay to interrupt my reading to tell me something or ask me a question. I am almost always in a room full of people when this happens and there is almost always an attendant or official person who can answer the question better than me. I wish reading in public was seen in the same light as headphones in public.
2.       I hate when random people judge me for what I read. Okay, so I don’t mind talking about books, but I don’t like it when someone asks me what I’m reading just to judge me for it. The last time this happened to me I was reading Midnight Texas by Charline Harris. The guy asked me what I was reading and what it was about and when I told him he said that I was wasting my time and needed to start reading non-fiction.
3.       This brings me to my next point, unwelcome suggestions. I don’t mind when someone suggests a book to me that they think I might actually like, but when someone suggests a book to me because they think it’s better than what I am currently reading….well, that’s when I do what I like to call an inner eye-roll. I love meeting a fellow reader, especially one who’s passionate about what they read, but I’m not interested in certain types of books. I don’t mind people telling me about the type of book that they like, in fact, I’ve picked up books due to hearing about how much other people loved them. I just don’t like when people seem to be judging me based on what I read. *Note, tell me your favorite book in the comments down below.
Okay, so that’s my list for my reading pet peeves. Be sure to leave yours in the comments down below.

No comments:

Post a Comment