Wednesday, June 20, 2018

50 books in a year?

50 books may not seem like a lot of books to read in a year, but to someone like me it is. I developed a love of reading at an early age. As a child I devoured the Goosebumps books and when I grew a bit older I moved on to the Fear Street series. I fell in love with the Urban Fantasy genre in my late teens and early twenties when I purchased the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I remember how much I used to love going to the library, even when I was going with him. There's just something about leafing through the books until one speaks to me that I love. My love of reading never really faded, but it was pushed away by him. Him = the ex-boyfriend from h-e double hockey sticks. I remember laying on the sofa trying to read Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning, and putting it down not long after I had opened it. I didn't even get to read the first page. I might try to pick it up in the future, but I'm not sure. I'm funny about things that are tied to my bad memories. I had been looking forward to reading the book, I'd even placed a hold on it at the library. It had popped up on a few popular book lists, and it's even been suggested to me recently. Why didn't I read it? Well, every time I cracked it open he came in the living room to ask me a question. It was as if he suddenly couldn't function without me. He had this weird thing about me spending time by myself. My 'me time' was supposed to be when he wasn't home, but I got so behind on everything that I couldn't keep up on anything. I couldn't watch my shows because they were 'girl shows', and if I tried to go in another room he magically needed something from said room (yet he could watch shows that I hated and I had to suffer through them. I wasn't allowed to have my own interests). I can't imagine what it would have been like if I would have been attending school at the same time. To this day, my routine is effected by this. It's hard for me to pick up a book and read it cover to cover, or get interested in certain tv shows. It even affects my writing to a degree, but not as much as everything else. It's been years since we broke up, but I still find myself having trouble reading a book cover to cover. I wanted to change that, so I decided to track my progress on goodreads. I am proud to announce that I have read about 13 books so far this year. I know it's a small step, but it means the world to me to be able to sit down and read a book again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment