Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sneak Peek

Today I decided to take a peek at one of the short stories connected to Zombie Bite. This is not the main story, just a connected story. It's still in the editing process, but I decided to share a page, so here it is.


                “Why the hell are you sitting home alone on a Friday night?” I greeted my roommate, Darci.
            She didn’t reply as I dropped my purse and apron on the counter closest to the door, and walked over to the sofa, where she was hidden beneath at least ten pounds of blankets. I hadn’t seen her since this morning, but it looked like she hadn’t moved all day. I gasped when I caught sight of her once round face, which had grown thin during the five hours I’d spent at work. Her glassy eyes took a long time to focus on me, but when they did I couldn‘t help noticing they‘d taken a whitish tone.
            “You look like crap,” I said before I could stop myself. I had a habit of saying whatever popped into my head, which sometimes got me into trouble, but Darci had never seemed bothered by it.    
            “I think I’m getting sick,” she mumbled in response.
            “Do you want me to bring you to the doctor?” I asked.
            Darci had always been chubby, but now she looked frail, so thin that her bones were visible beneath her pale skin. The way she was sprawled across the sofa made her look like a rag doll. “Can you turn the light out? It‘s killing my eyes.”
            “Darci, I think you should go to the doctor,” I said as I made my way across the room to turn the light off.
            “Shh, let me watch the news,” she interrupted.

            The light from the TV danced across her pale face, casting her in tones of blue as the words ‘breaking news’ flashed across the screen. The tv was louder than I would have liked, but I took a seat on the floor in front of the sofa. A blonde news reporter stood in front of a house that had been roped off by crime scene tape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment