Monday, September 3, 2018

Things people will tell you to stop you from writing

I used to be afraid to tell people that I was writing books. I would keep it to myself until I got to know people and know how they would react, but I still managed to be overheard by others or have others find me on the internet and interject their two cents. Here's a list of what I've encountered (some of it wasn't told to me, I just stumbled upon it).


From a short story that I wrote.

There are tons of other writers out there, how do you plan to make money from writing? This was actually told to me by a coworker when he overheard me and another coworker talking about writing and books overall. I told him that I would try and even have a second job if needed. Writing is my passion and I can't imagine a life where I won't at least try to make it a career.

You're too young to be a writer. I have the fortune of appearing younger than I am, so people usually guess that I'm in my early twenties. I have recently been told that I was too young to be a writer. The person who told me that even went so far as to say that they wouldn't read anything by anyone under 50. Clearly she was missing out on some good books.

You're too old to write about 20 somethings. I assume that if someone told me that I was too young to write there is someone out there being told that they are too old. There is no age limit on writing or reading.

You can't write books in that genre. I haven't been told this, but I do get a lot of people who assume that I write romance because I'm a female. I have heard people say that they won't read romance written by a man. The bottom line is that you can write whatever you want.

What have people told you to stop you from writing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment