Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Judging a book by its genre

I've never really enjoyed reading in public, but recently I've been doing it a lot. People often ask me when I'm reading and I'll show them the cover. I usually read fiction (although I have read a few nonfiction books and would like to add more to my tbr list). Yesterday someone asked me what I was reading and when I showed them the cover they said 'Ugh, fiction,' as if there was something wrong with me reading fiction. Fiction is a major genre that a lot of people read and enjoy. I write fiction. I don't see anything wrong with reading fiction or any other type of genre, and I don't see why I should have been shamed for what I was reading. I have always thought of reading as a positive hobby, or even a hobby that I could use to connect with others. I like talking to people about books I've enjoyed, and hopefully they like talking to me about those books too. I don't know that the man intended to shame me for what I was reading, but it bothered me. 



Let me know if you have ever been shamed for reading a book and what you were reading at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment