Sunday, April 27, 2014

Darkly Disappointing Dexter

I finally watched the last episode of Dexter. I guess I held off so long because I heard how disappointing the ending was. There are still a few Dexter books that I haven't read through, so my adventures in Dexterland are far from over, plus I haven't picked up the comic book either. I always considered the tv show as something different from the books. The only book I ever compared was the first book to the first season. There are a lot of things from the books I would have liked to see included in the tv show, but that's a post for another time. Right now I'm going to talk about the season finale. There were things I liked in the finale, Dexter killing Saxton with an ink pen was one of them, but as rewarding as it was to see Saxton finally get what he deserved, it was nothing like an old Dexter episode. The old Dexter was careful, and would never have taken the risks the new Dexter took. The part where Dexter threw Deb overboard made sense, she was sort of his victim, but the part where Dexter through his phone overboard and faked suicide made no sense. Dexter stated that he no longer felt the urge to kill. He had basically found his humanity with Hannah and Harrison. All of Dexter's problems were because he had the urge to kill. He could have just lived a peaceful life with his son and girlfriend, but instead he isolated himself as some sort of punishment. It didn't make sense. It would have made more sense if he would have killed himself. The only point I can see to Dexter living an isolated life if because the urge to kill came back. Maybe this time he'll see the ghost of Deb instead of the ghost of Harry. On another note, someone needs to hire the actor who played Saxton in one of the terminator films. Watching him walk around with no emotion really reminded me of the terminator.

No comments:

Post a Comment