Friday, February 14, 2014

Romeo and Juilet and how it could have turned out differently

I don't have a Valentine so I thought it might be fun to explore Romeo and Juliet and how it could have turned out differently. The first time I read Romeo and Juliet I was in seventh grade. We had to read it as part of the honors program. The teacher didn't go into much detail about the play, instead she let us watch parts of the movie. She couldn't show us the entire movie because there was nudity, which my male classmates really wanted to see. The second time I read it was after I'd transferred to a different school. I was in ninth grade, and I guess I had a better teacher since she shared her thoughts on the famous play. I remember her saying that Romeo fell in and out of love easily (Juliet was kind of a rebound). She also wondered what would have happened if Romeo and Juliet had just told their parents about their marriage. She thought that would have ended the feud. I think a number of things could have turned out differently. If Romeo and Juliet had been allowed to date I don't think they would have ended up together. I think Romeo would have gotten bored and moved on to the next girl. I'm not sure the parents would have taken it so smoothly if their children came to them with the details of their union, but I don't think they would have died. There was too much bloodshed to be forgiven. I haven't read Romeo and Juliet in years, but I remember thinking their deaths had a lot to do with Friar Lawrence. Maybe he should have just taken Juliet to her beloved Romeo, or explained that the pair was married. Well, those are just my thoughts. Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment