Thursday, September 7, 2017

My history with reading

I've written a lot about my history with writing, but I don't think I've ever said anything about my love for reading. I've talked about certain books that I've read, but I believe everyone has a story behind why they love reading. My story actually started before I learned to read. My parents used to read me the Bernstein Bears at night before I went to sleep. I don't remember those stories much, but I do hope one day that I'll have a child of my own to share those stories with. As I got older I noticed that the other children at my school didn't like to read. Reading was something the teacher told us to do, not something to do for fun. I ended up falling in love with the TV show Ghost Writer and reading even though it wasn't cool. The town soon built a brand new library and I got a library card, which was a big deal for me since it was my first one. I remember spending a lot of my time devouring the Goosebumps series and I moved on to Fear Street when I was a little older (I can't wait for the movie). In high school I read Carrie, which lead me to have a love/hate relationship with Stephan King's books. I also started spending my lunches in the library to read (I read things like Speak and Smack). The school gave us a 15 minute silent reading period where I ended up reading a lot of books. As a young adult I started going into the Barnes and Noble chat room and I ended up meeting an author who was not yet published but was about to release her first book. She went on to become one of my favorite authors (I'm scared to say her name because of recent events, but she's an awesome person). She was the first author I ever really followed and I still follow her to this day. She introduced me to the urban fantasy and paranormal romance world, which became my go to genre for a good book. In 2015 my reading life took a hit that it hasn't quite recovered from. I had access to a big library and I would go every week, but I also had a boyfriend who couldn't bare for me to be in the other room. I don't want to talk much about that time in my life, but it wasn't great. I ended up giving up both reading and writing, which caused my work to suffer. I'm currently trying to get back into reading and considering doing writing prompts every day to start my day. I've found that I have problems finishing a book now. I have finished a handful of books lately, but it's nothing compared to the way I used to read. I used to finish at least one book a week and now I barely read past the first chapter. Anyway, I hope to bring myself back to the place I had been before with my reading.

6 comments:

  1. I remember the Bernstein Bears where they were in a cave or something and some noise was scaring them, but then they figured out it was just the wind over an opening above them like blowing on a bottle. Plus an apple one where the mom cut into a pretty apple and it was bad, and then cut into a bad one and it was perfect. Good times. I've found that audiobooks have helped me get back into reading a ton once I got used to them. Was in the same boat with relationship wise in a different way for a while. Less than fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bernstein Bears have some many tales that I would love to share once I have a child. Being in a bad relationship is never fun, and normally there are many aspects of your life that change. Mine was so bad that even my eating habits were modified. I don't know how yours was, but I hope you got out of it and found the right resources to help you. I found that talking to a professional helped me and also writing (even writing horribly) took my mind off of what had happened to me in that relationship. It takes awhile to build yourself back up to who you are before, if that's even possible.

      Delete
    2. I was able to build back up to a (I think) better person, so it worked out kind of I guess. Definitely made me a better writer. Figured out that I write A LOT, but terribly bad when depressed etc lol. I ended up losing a TON of weight from just not wanting to eat and junk, so yeah, been there. Hope you are doing amazing.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I hope you're doing amazing as well. I am glad to hear that you've managed to build yourself back up. Do you have anything published right now? I would love to support you (you can send me a direct message with the link so that you don't get attacked). I wrote Zombie Bite when dealing with serious depression due to leaving the abusive relationship, and it suffers because of that. In something else I was writing (Hair of The Wolf), I decided it would fit the character to have previously been in an abusive relationship. I stopped writing that for awhile because I don't want it to reach the same fate as Zombie Bite. Writing a character that I can relate to has helped me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not published yet. Hoping to be ready and to start the process by next August. Going for traditional publishing first. I'm trying to search around a bit and read some self-published authors as well since I never really have before. Mine is kind of the story of how I've grown up over the past few years, but more interesting (I hope), and made into an actual story.

      Delete
    2. That sounds good. I feel like people write about what they know and what they learn throughout their lives.

      Delete