Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Allure Magazine is one of the many magazines that only consist of ads



Allure magazine is basically just one big assortment of ads, or at least that’s the conclusion I’ve come to after receiving multiple magazines from them. I recently started getting the magazines in the mail (I didn’t sign up for them, I think an ex somehow sent them to me), but I only recently got the chance to flip through them. I was expecting to find articles on beauty, but I wasn’t prepared for a magazine that blurred the line between ads and articles so much that I couldn’t tell which was which. I had seen a video online last year that pointed out the insane amount of ads in a normal women’s magazine, but it didn’t say anything about the content inside. Basically, the articles were all things such as ‘insert celebrity’s’ makeup bag, or the top ten best beauty products for fall. I understand that Allure is a beauty magazine and the main reason for its existence is to sell beauty products, but there are better beauty stores out there that can be shared. I even have a beauty story of my own that I would love to share with the magazine (How my now ex-boyfriend changed my relationship with beauty), but I doubt the magazine will ever run stories that go beyond the products they are paid to promote. To me, beauty has always been something personal and I believe every woman has a beauty story. There are women in this world who aren’t allowed to express themselves through beauty, so don’t you owe the people who actually buy your magazine stories that actually have some substance to them? I looked around on your website and found a few articles that I would have loved to see in the magazine that was delivered to my door, so I can’t help but wonder why you had to hide them away on your website? I haven’t really read many women’s magazines in the last few years, but the ones I have read have all been the same. I honestly wish that I could create my own magazine full of unedited voiced from around the world. I feel like there’s so much we can learn from each other, even when it comes to beauty. Allure, please look at the content you put out and considering adding new authors to your publication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment