Tuesday, April 25, 2017

My thoughts on 13 reasons why

As a writer I find myself drawn to stories. It doesn't matter if they are my own or other people's stories. If I can find something to relate to in the story I end up getting hooked until the end. A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a job where I could read during my long and boring shifts. It was so dead that I averaged about a book and a half per day. I picked up 13 reasons why during that time. I remember it being a book that made me think back to my high school days. I couldn't help wondering if one or two things had gone differently.... That's the thing about 13 reasons why. The book makes you think. It's the type of thing that could happen to anyone and is already happening in this digital world that we live in. I remember how excited I was when I heard about the netflix series and I ended up watching a few episodes everyday after work. I was drawn in. The characters seemed real to me, each one flawed. Needless to say, I enjoyed the show. A few days later I saw an article saying something about schools warning kids about the show. The show supposedly glories suicide, but I don't agree with that. The after effects of her suicide are showcased, from her parent's grieving to the jerks at school who only seem to be worried about making sure they don't get in trouble. Each person reacts differently, and if maybe if someone had reached to help her she would still be alive. Now I'm not saying that the other people were responsible for her mental state, but I know first hand that other people's actions can hurt. Hannah should have sought help much sooner than she did, and maybe this tv show can urge someone in the same situation to reach out when they need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment