Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Are there too many .99 cent books?

It seems like I post a lot and then disappear, which is mainly due to me trying to get my next novel out. I am going to correct a lot of mistakes that I made when releasing Zombie Bite. It's going to be a longer book, and I am also planning to send the file for my next book to createspace.com so that I can have an actual book that people can hold in their hands (and sniff because book sniffing is apparently a thing). It has always been my dream to write books, and now that I've actually written one I feel kind of underwhelmed. Maybe my dream was to make a living from writing books, which may happen. Zombie Bite has only been out for a few months and I haven't even released Hair of the Wolf yet. Honestly, Hair of the Wolf if more of the type of book that I enjoy reading. It's an urban fantasy about a werewolf who was just recovering from an abusive relationship when she accidentally reveals the existence of werewolves to the world. I've been writing and editing like crazy, but I did manage to stop and ask myself one question; are there too many self published books out there already? I must have a ton on my kindle that I got for .99 cents but never pick up. I thought it was just because I'm in a reading slump, but I think it's more likely the fact that I have trouble getting into self published authors. I know that sounds crazy, especially given the amount of work that I put into my own books. Why do I feel that way? I've read awesome books that were self published. Maybe it's just that no one talks about self published authors the same way they do regular authors. I used to talk about books quite a lot and no one ever brought up self publishing. We always talked about authors we liked that had easily attainable books. It was so easy to just go into books-a-million or barnes and noble and pick up something new. I feel like that issue is the same issue plaguing many people. Why pick up an unknown author when I already know that I'm going to like another author's book? Hopefully people will open up and start supporting local authors or small authors more.

3 comments:

  1. Appreciation for really being really thoughtful and also for deciding on certain marvelous guides most people are really wanting to be aware of.
    Kids book reviews

    ReplyDelete