Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Review: Black Flame novels

I love Halloween. I think it would probably be one of my favorite holidays, and I think it doesn't get enough time to shine. Christmas items usually make it to the store at the same time as Halloween items. Most of the time I just celebrate Halloween by watching scary movies, but sometimes I read scary books too. When I was younger I only read scary books. I seemed to devour every single Goosebumps book that I could get my hands on until I grew into Fear Street. I soon moved on to Stephen King, but my late teens lead me to a series of books that I would like to talk about today. I was fairly new to computers when I read an article about a series of books based on Final Destination, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and the Friday the 13th series. I managed to track down a few at my local Barnes and Noble and then I had to get the rest from eBay. I don't have them all, but I do have a small collection. The book novelizations added things that I found strange, like a relationship between Kevin and Wendy in Final Destination 3. Each book seemed to add unnecessary sex that added nothing to the plot, and then there were the typos. I had never found a typo in a book before reading these. Sometimes the plot didn't make much sense, or the characters were highly unlikable. I was young and figured that I could publish a book through them because they weren't known for the best quality. They actually denied my request, which did hurt me back then. I had even written a Final Destination fan fiction, but I have to admit that it wasn't very good. Despite all this, they never saw a writing sample. This was the first time that I'd ever sent out a query letter. I remember googling one of the authors (Natasha Rhodes), because I couldn't believe that she was a real author. I guess her books were the first books I'd ever quit reading because I disliked them. She was the first author I'd ever googled. I did enjoy one of the books, Looks could kill (my cover is different than the one pictured). It did have typos, but it was easier to overlook them because the story was interesting and took the Final Destination in a different place.

No comments:

Post a Comment