Saturday, April 28, 2018

Slide into my DMs, or don't: The 5 types of messages you'll get when you join a facebook writing group

A few months ago I decided to check out the writing groups on facebook. I joined the ones that were suggested to me and searched for some based on my own interests as well. I really like connecting with other people, and whenever I ask for advice people are usually nice to me. Whenever I post something, or answer something I always end up getting private messaged. Below is a list of the five types of messages you'll get upon joining a facebook writing group.


  • The guy who wants to let you know he's single. Every time I post something at least one guy shows up in my inbox, telling me that he's single. Whenever I actually go to his profile it seems like he's auditioning for the new 90 day finance show: Before the 90 days: stalking the prey.
  • The person who expects you to write an article/blog post/story for them but doesn't want to offer any type of payment. I've had at least four of these this week, one of them wanted me to write their about me section. Seriously? You can't think of anything to put in your about me section? These people usually try to make it sound like they're doing you a favor. They're not. Most of them aren't even offering you credit for your own work. They also get angry if you tell them no. I usually block them as soon as their message shows up in my inbox. 
  • Buy my stuff. Did you know I have this really cool book/program/website for sale? You can own it for 10 easy payments of 99.99. 
  • The scammer. Sometimes the scammer and the person trying to sell you their stuff go hand in hand. Sometimes the scammer tries to get you to click a link that may or may not be a virus. Sometimes the scammer has a sad story and needs money (example: their goldfish's dying wish was for them to write a book and they need your money to do it). 
  • The person who actually wants to build relationships with other creative types. This is the type of message that I actually look forward to. I love connecting with others who are in the same field with me. I actually don't mind helping them out or giving them advice, as long as they're willing to do the same.  



No comments:

Post a Comment